Advocate Christ Medical Center is part of Advocate Health Care, one of the nation’s leading health care networks. A not-for-profit, 749-bed, premier teaching institution with more than 1,200 affiliated physicians, Christ Medical Center is one of the major referral hospitals in the Midwest for a number of specialties, including cancer care; cardiovascular services; heart, kidney and lung transplantation; neurosciences; orthopedics; and women’s health. The hospital provides emergency care for more than 100,000 patient visits annually and has one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in Illinois.
REGISTERED NURSE in Cardio Vascular Thoracic Unit
Advocate Christ Medical Center, Oak Lawn, IL
HOURS: 2 x 12hr Day shifts with rotating weekends:7AM – 7:30PM
This is a part time, benefitted RN position
JOB AND UNIT SUMMARY:
The Cardiovascular Thoracic Intensive Care Unit patient typically comes from the ED or Tele Units as a direct admit or transfer.Patients on this intensive care unit are non-surgical cardiac and thoracic cases; (ie: Myocardial Infarction, heart disease, heart failure, non-cardiac chest conditions (Emphysema/lung diseases), hemodynamic monitoring of arterial and central venous blood pressure, cardiac rhythm and output, systemic venous oxygen consumption and pulse oximetry, etc.)
- The Advocate Nurse uses evidence-based practice, clinical decision making, compassion and skilled dialogue, to lead efforts to create the safest patient environment and the best patient experience.
- The Advocate Nurse delivers and coordinates patient-centered care across the continuum to support the successful transition of patients to other healthcare delivery systems or their home communities.
- The Advocate Nurse is responsible for providing and coordinating comprehensive patient care through the appropriate utilization of assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation, in accordance with established standards, policies and procedures.
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) required
- Current Illinois RN license
- Current CPR
- Minimum 1 year of experience (Previous critical care nursing experience preferred)
- Certification in your current area of specialty once meeting eligibility requirements
ICU/CCU Certification Requirements:
- Successfully completes ECG course and annual exam – post hire.
- Completes and maintains ACLS certification – post hire.
- Performs direct patient care for heart transplant, Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) and heart failure patients with a high degree of skill and knowledge.
- Education requirements: completion of Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) training through an initial formal 8 hours VAD class, to be completed as part of orientation.
- On an annual basis, complete an annual competency assessment program specific to Ventricular Assist Devices and to be determined by the unit/department educator and VAD clinician.
- Continuing education with an emphasis or focused on advanced heart failure therapies is to be completed.
- Good communication skills
- Computer skills
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Familiarity with patient care equipment
- Ability to transport objects, patients, and equipment
- Ability to respond quickly to patient needs, work at fast pace and assist in evacuation of patients in the event of a fire or other disaster
- Ability to lift up to 35 pounds without assistance. For patient lifts of over 35 pounds, or when patient is unable to assist with the lift, patient handling equipment is expected to be used, with at least one other associate, when available. Unique patient lifting/movement situations will be assessed on a case~by~case basis.
About Advocate Health Care
Advocate Health Care, named among the nation’s Top 5 large health systems based on quality by Truven Analytics, is the largest health system in Illinois and one of the largest health care providers in the Midwest. Advocate operates more than 250 sites of care, including 12 hospitals that encompass 11 acute care hospitals, the state’s largest integrated children’s network, the state’s largest emergency and Level I trauma network, one of the area’s largest home health care companies, and the region’s largest medical group. Advocate Health Care has 4 teaching hospitals and is a not-for-profit, mission-based health system affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the United Church of Christ.